Social Commerce Statistics (2022)
The social commerce industry is growing at a rapid pace. The segment is just about fifteen years old. Yahoo first introduced it in 2015. The segment has been growing at neck-breaking speed in the last few years. Especially post Covid! This blog will take a holistic look at social commerce statistics globally.
Read here: what is social commerce
It has been quite some time that online sellers and brands have been using social media channels. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have been used for marketing their products. As we advance, social media platforms are being used for buying and paying for products & services. It is a new gamut, yes! It is a tiny subset of e-commerce as of now. E-commerce is poised to touch $4.2 trillion by this year-end. E-commerce revenues are high. The potential is high too. Social e-commerce has a big role to play in pushing brands to earn more. This blog will talk extensively about statistics of social commerce.
Social media e-commerce statistics for 2022 - Generic
- In 2021, almost 30% of online sellers use social media to sell products to buyers.
- The number of social commerce buyers in the US were about 80.1 million in 2020. By 2022, it is expected to rise to 96.1 million, according to hubspot.
- In India, there are approximately 157 million shoppers
- or 53% online shoppers in 2021. By 2022, it is expected to touch 228 million.
- China leads in social shopping. One out of every two online shoppers shops through social media.
- In 2020, apparel topped the revenue list making up about 21.69% of total revenue.
- In 2020, many top companies like McDonald’s, Samsung, Coca-Cola, and YouTube had used FB and Instagram for product promotion.
- For online retailers, referrals matter a lot. Social referrals via social media has jumped by 110% in two years.
Also read: social commerce market size
Social commerce data for 2022 - Demographics
- Almost 90.2 million Americans are social buyers.
- Almost 75% of social media users in 2021 used social media ads to make purchase decisions belonging to Gen Z.
- As per Statistica, in 2021, 55% of online buyers were in the age group 18-24. In the US.
Social media commerce statistics for 2022 - Platforms
According to stackla,
- Instagram helps about 60% of social media users to discover a new product.
- More than 200 million Instagram users go onto a Business Profile every day.
According to savemycent,
- About seventy percent of online shoppers search for products on Instagram & Facebook.
- About 75% of people go onto the brand website after seeing an Instagram ad.
- Customers referred from Instagram, on average, buy products valued at $65.
- 130 million users on Instagram click on a shopping post to acquire more information about the product.
Read here: why to use social commerce platforms
b. Social shopping statistics on FACEBOOK
- Almost 78% of online buyers say they discover products on FB.
- The average value of goods bought by customers referred from Facebook is worth $55.
- Most people in the US use FB and Insta to learn and discover fashion apparel products.
- Between April - June, 2021, there were about 1 million Facebook Shops.
- About 77% of Pinterest users use the medium to discover new products or brands.
- In 2019, the medium generated more than $1 billion as ad revenue.
Video commerce statistics for 2022
According to social media today,
- 63% of businesses online were using videos for marketing in 2017. The figure was 86% in 2021.
- YouTube, the biggest video platform, has about 2 billion active users.
- 70% of users are likely to buy from a brand after watching its ad on YouTube.
- Interestingly, 62% of users are more interested in a brand after watching Facebook stories.
- 60% of the 1 billion active Tik Tok users are Gen Z.
- 80% of the 1 billion Insta users prefer how-to-video
- Compared to studio-shot videos, mobile-shot videos are likely to garner attention by 63%.
According to think with google,
- Almost 60% of online shoppers are inspired to buy after watching videos.
- Almost 50% of electronic shoppers online have purchased products discovered on YouTube.
- Similarly, about 70% of auto product buyers have used an online video to help them in purchase decisions.
The social commerce statistics in 2022 shared are just the iceberg tip. There’s so much more! Did you find the social selling statistics that are relevant to your business or location? Keep sharing within your peers to keep others informed too!